The 2023 LIYC North Cruise is ~3 weeks away, and I hope you all are excited about it as much as I am. If you haven’t already notified me, please let me know if you will be joining us for the cruise, so I can add you to the group list. Now for some important details on the itinerary, group events, border crossing, things to pack, and communication plan.
ITINERARY (July 10 – Aug 4)
*also posted online as a pdf document that you can print or download to your mobile device.
- July 11th (Ganges) – Group Dinner at Salt Spring Wild. Please let me know if you plan to attend, so I have a correct headcount.
- July 18th – R2AK (Race to Alaska) inspired race R2PH through Prideaux Haven using your human or sail powered mode of choice (e.g., paddleboard, kayak, swimming)
- August 1st – The 2nd Annual Great Sailing Bake-off at Hornby Island
- Sundowners – we will take turns hosting each other on our boats, sharing appetizers and drinks.
- Swimming, hiking, and generally hanging out throughout the day.
- Fish derby – whoever catches the largest fish within the duration of the cruise wins!
CROSSING THE BORDER
- arrive at Bedwell Harbor, South Pender Island (https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/offices-bureaux/492-eng.html) customs dock (here is a list of the other marine telephone reporting sites a.k.a. border crossing locations if you are altering the North Cruise itinerary: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/services/trsm-sdtm-eng.html)
- Call the customs office using the phone onsite (only one person allowed off your vessel to do this before clearance)
- Don’t bring eggs, poultry, fruit, etc (we can all provision in Ganges, Salt Spring Island). Other restrictions detailed here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/bgb-rmf-eng.html
to the USA:
- Have your DTOPS decal sticker (for crossing the US border by boat: https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/#%20)
- When crossing into US waters, fill in your information into the CBP mobile app (https://www.cbp.gov/about/mobile-apps-directory)
- Wait for a call back from a US customs officer for clearance.
- If you are not cleared, you will likely need to go to Friday Harbor.
- Food restrictions (https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/agricultural-items)
IMPORTANT THINGS TO BRING
- DTOPS decal sticker (for crossing the US border by boat: https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/#%20)
- 200 ft of floating stern line (this comes in handy in the smaller anchorages in Desolation Sound)
- Canadian courtesy flag and your LIYC burgee
- 2023 Currents and tides book
I will set up a group SMS text chat for us to communicate. We will also use VHF channel 68 for ship-to-ship communication.
After departing Bedwell Harbor (enroute to Ganges), be sure to avoid this no-go marine protected areas for the Southern Resident Orcas (0.5 miles off the coast). Apparently fines can be as much as $1 million!! https://waggonerguide.com/gulf-islands-no-go-restricted-areas-reminder-avoid-a-1000000-fine/
Looking forward to seeing you on the water!